My sweet celiac and youngest, Izzy

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Smart Flour Foods and a yummy, healthy chicken salad recipe

Ok, I have one heck of a chicken salad recipe for you guys that is healthy and omits mayo altogether!  What's that you say?  How can you have chicken salad without mayo?  Listen here my friends:)...

I have been quite obsessed with Pinterest and I've seen alot of pins that have been subbing avocado puree for mayo.  Even though we LOVE avocado and I can see the similarity in the textures I was still unsure of this.  Well no longer my friend!  I had 3/4 of a leftover rotisserrie chicken from a recipe I made earlier in the week and I shredded all the meat into a bowl, added 1/2 C of celery and if you like raw onion, 1/2 cup sweet onion both diced or for a little twist you could add 2 minced shallots.  In my food processor I put two HAAS avocados, seed and skin removed, 1 TBSP organic sour cream and a pinch of salt, garlic powder and cumin.  Combine in the food processor and stir into the chicken, celery and onion if using.  It was FANTASTIC!  I added some halved grape tomatoes and put it in a lettuce cup and had it like a lettuce wrap but you could also stuff it inside a gfree pita half or a Gfree tortilla with some arugula and cheese. 

Happy eating!

Now for some Gfree talk about a new company, ok well it's not new but it's new to me and this is ONE HAPPY MOMMA.  I found them by accident when I followed a gfree recipe link that ended me on their website and the opening line reads, " Many gluten free products lack essential vitamins & minerals. Smart Flour™ is a unique gluten free flour blend of ancient grains created by Smart Flour Foods." OK, you definately have my attention.  The whole website was filled with great information on their products and ancient grains.  They have products from their flour blends for bread, pizza, all purpose baking  to actual cookie dough and brownies, premade pizza crusts and so on.  The price of the products themselves were very reasonable, the shipping however was almost a deal breaker.  BUT, they offer if you have a $100 in products the shipping is free....now THAT'S what I'm talking about.  It didn't take me long to rack up a $100 in products to try! I ordered a sampler pack as well as some other things and let me tell you, we love it ALL.  Everything we've tried, all I have made with their flour, it is amazingly good.  So here's a small plug for a wonderful Gfree company!

http://www.smartflourfoods.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment